Scavenger Hunt Sunday: 12 August

Mobile Phones, almost everyone has it. Even a 7-year-old kid in Singapore has at least one, although I only got mine (an old yucky hand-me-down that screams 1980s) when I started working. Many times, we all didn't hesitate to snap pictures and photos of anything that suddenly catches our fancy whether we're out of the house or in our house. Here's my interpretation on what I captured on mine and it's mostly food-themed for my version (it's a LG Ice Cream Phone, bleh..)


1. Mobile

I stood way too close to the standee so it looks rather grainy. But an intro on how this shot took place. It happened around 5 years ago when my colleague suggested having lunch together since we practically ate at the same place during lunch/dinner break.

On our way back, we sort of intentionally went to Golden Village (Cinema house in Singapore, rather famous, free lifetime membership) and saw this Friday the 13th standee with a cut-out face for people to pose and take photos of. The latest, most probably re-invention of Friday the 13th was showing at that time. And my colleague couldn't resist asking for a photo for the standee.

I complied, he posed, I shot the picture and presenting to you, the latest victim of Jason Voorhees who isn't appalled by the idea of being caught. This wonderful colleage of mine sort of started fuelling my interest in sharing photos on my blog ever since. And it has stayed in my mobile phone for an astonishing 5 years, as most shots I've taken don't stay longer than 1 month.



2. Hanging by a Thread

You all may be wondering why this picture of food on a hotplate goes under Hanging by a Thread interpretation. Allow me to explain it to you.

This newly opened stall at the local food court where I normally grab my nom noms was practically "raved" (raved silently though) by almost every hungry shopper who went in. Walk in and the first food stall they went to is Pepper Lunch Diner. To tell the truth, it smelled rather nice enough to tempt me into trying. But since it's a newly opened stall, there's always a snaking long queue.

Until last night, my mother wanted to try the Salmon Pepper Set and I thought I should give it a try too, especially since there's no queue as the hype has died down a little. Big mistake there! Don't be fooled just because you see only salmon, rice and corn, looking all warm and inviting.

Throughout the entire meal, I was alternating between eating, choking and coughing. There's black pepper added in there when the staff prepared it, and I absolutely did not add in any more condiments. Kinda pointless to "spoil" how my food tastes with the usual condiments of chilli sauce and soy sauce. I'm not sure how much "pepper" was added in, but I know I was literally "hanging by a thread" somehow. Didn't forsee the choking and coughing part, and so I didn't bought any drinks yet. No more Pepper Lunch set meals for me D:



3. Collage

Kinda cheated with collages of food, but then, kinda unsure what I wanted to put up for this part though. I always have a love-hate relationship with food. Looks good, may not taste nice. Smells nice, may not be that good. Looks so-so, but the taste is comparable to the most expensive dishes you can find on this world. It's not that I don't like trying new food, it's just that, I'm picky with my food. Really picky!



4. Always Look on the Bright Side

No matter how the weather turned out, most times, we always need to have just a little more lighting when food is involved. Be it cooking, choosing, buying. Correct lighting makes the food looks much better, even if you may not like certain dishes. This was taken from the Yong Tau Foo stall beside Pepper Lunch.

I always tell myself I don't like this stall and never to patronise as I always encounter this server who's slow, acted deaf, blah blah. Asked for dry, she gave me soup and tried to cheat me by charging an extra 10 cents for soup, but not giving it. Until late this afternoon, I spied a new server cooking behind and hence decided to buy from this stall again.

The lady who served had a China accent and at least she was polite, didn't get my orders wrong, charged me for the correct price.



5. Home

For Home, I chose to share a snapshot I took of the lady mentioned in the photo/interpreation above. Nowadays in Singapore, we almost see foreigners on a daily basis and they come from different parts of the world. Foreign Talents are what the Singapore givernment called them, and I couldn't not agree with the term. Just look at the Olympics, Singapore managed to bag a bronze in Table Tennis and instead of being grateful, most Singaporeans are rather quick to point out that Feng Tian Wei is originally from China, not a Singapore-born citizen.

I can never understand how the typical Singaporean is always thinking of. They wanted Olympic gold medals and yet, they don't want a non-Singaporean citizen to get it for Singapore. In fact, a friend from my Friend List on facebook was making hourly wall postings on different country representatives who won gold with the heading "Home Grown.."

It's not like foreigners choose to willingly migrate to another country. Sometimes, they had no choice in that decision. Poor wages, lack of employment opportunities and such is what drives them from their home to make a living in a brand new place without even knowing how or what is going to happen in the distant future.

If the feeling(s) of jobs, husbands, wives, and such related matters can be pinned to foreigners "snatching" our so-called opportunities, why not just work harder and prove that you can be even better than the foreign talents that come to Singapore? They came to a foreign country with the only hopes of earning enough each month to send back to their family. It's just that simple, they need more money to live. To survive. I personally don't think it's that hard to think around this little simple notion that just because your country is doing good, it doesn't necessarily mean someone else country is doing even better. If it is, we won't even see a single foreigner in Singapore at all.

It's rather sad to see the "Home Grown" tag being brandied around, as if it's a death sentence. But on the other issue that don't touch on the topic I am in, I personally would also like to see Johari Pain cut off his genitals after he sweared he would do so if Malaysia managed to win a medal. Read about it here: Man claiming he will cut his genitals if Pandelela wins asked to own up




P/S: Oh poop, I uploaded an actual photo of me instead :-/

Unknown

Riih Rion is bashful when facing cameras and video-cams. But she soon realized she is more comfortable behind a PC screen than in front of a lens. Riih is passionate about beauty products, paranormal & folk lore from anywhere in the world and sushi. Especially sushi. Come visit her blogs or drop her a comment :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on -Chopsticks-, a personal blog that touches on pop culture. Kindly note that I will comment back on your blog (on your latest blog post) as soon as I possibly can, unless I'm not online.

Rules:

1. Kindly avoid promotional/non-sense/unrelated comments as this can be reason for deletion of your comments.

2. Avoid commenting with "nice post"/"thanks for sharing", or the likes. Kindly just read the post and comment something about it.

3. Replying with some facts/rumors or other info related to the post is well appreciated too.

Your comments always make my day(s) feel special and appreciated and each comment will be followed up as well. Thank you and have a wonderful day ahead~